The TL;DR: December 17, 2018
In our last TL;DR of the year, we’re talking about Instagram’s new countdown sticker, habits marketers should drop in 2019, and visual trends to be aware of going into 2019.
Instagram Adds “Countdown” Sticker to Stories
As Instagram continues to build out its Stories offering, it has added a new sticker to the collection. Read on to find out the details and you can find the full article here.
- Instagram recently released the “Countdown” sticker option.
- This sticker allows you to select an amount of time before an event occurs and choose the color of the countdown, then you put it in your story.
- Other users can then share your countdown as well as sign up to receive a notification when the timer runs out.
- This provides a great opportunity for marketers to provide even richer, more interactive experiences for promos, sales, events, and more.
- Marketers can also use the countdown to remind people to update the settings, attend Twitter chats, or watch the next installment in a series. There’s a lot of room for creative usage with this new offering.
5 Habits Marketers Should Leave in 2018
As the year draws to a close, there’s a lot of talk about things to add to your marketing plan in 2019. But what should you leave behind? Find out more below and read the full article on Social Media Today.
- Getting bogged down in the data: Data is incredibly valuable, but it's easy to get caught up in all the information available and lose sight of the KPIs that actually matter for your product or brand. Focus on a few tools and a few KPIs to help streamline the analytics process.
- Having too many or too few CTAS: CTAs are one of the most important parts of marketing. If you have too many, people can get annoyed or confused, and if you have none at all, users won’t really know what to do with your content. Try to only ever have one CTA at a time and make sure that it’s clear and useful to customers.
- Posting erratically on social media: While you should be focusing on quality over quantity when it comes to posting on social media, you should also keep in mind that consistency is key. Making sure your pages are updated regularly not only keeps you top of mind with customers – but it also helps you from an algorithm perspective.
- Mass emailing random people: Only people that have clearly subscribed and are clearly interested – emailing random people is a waste of resources and it can also serve to turn off potential customers. You may also want to consider segmenting your email list by factors such as where they are in the buying process, how familiar they are with your brand, and more. This gives you the opportunity to create highly personalized messaging for each group.
- Not adding to the marketing toolbox: While it is important to maintain your brand identity, you need to make sure you’re changing up tactics, imagery, and more. Be creative with what you post and constantly try to innovate in ways that are relevant to your audience.
Visual Trends to Watch in 2019
Brands are constantly developing, and imagery is a huge part of brand identity. So what type of imagery is going to keep growing in popularity in 2019? Find out below and read more on Social Media Today.