The TL;DR January 16, 2018
This week we're talking about Facebook's big algorithm change, how to create a better content marketing strategy, and an overview of tools for creating personas.
Facebook's Big Algorithm Change
Facebook recently announced that it’s making big changes to its algorithm, most importantly prioritizing friend & family content. You can read the full article here.
- Brands should expect to take a hit on organic performance due to these new changes, as prioritizing friend & family content means brand-owned content will naturally be pushed down.
- Brands will need to focus more heavily on creating genuinely engaging content as well as looking at other networks to make up for the lost performance.
- This marks a huge shift in Facebook's strategy and could change the face of social media dramatically.
- This change comes on the heels of several smaller Facebook changes, some of which we’ve written about before including:
- A preference searched and episodic videos that encourage repeat visits.
- A devaluation of “engagement-baiting” like polls using reactions, posts asking people to tag friends, etc.
- Removing the ability to alter auto-populated text on links shared from other sites.
5 Tips for Your 2018 Content Marketing Strategy
Forbes shared several tips for maximizing social and content performance in 2018. Read the highlights below and the full article here.
- Get into influencer marketing if you aren’t already:
- Marketers have talked a lot about influencer strategy in recent years and it’s not going away any time. Find the right influencers (or micro-influencers) for your brand and create a great campaign with them.
- Have a solid, planned strategy:
- While it can be easy to create a business account on a social network simply because everyone else is doing it, a well-researched strategy will take you much further. Make sure everything you do on a platform makes sense for your brand and your audience.
- Dig into the data:
- Keeping an eye on what performs and what doesn’t in real-time can do wonders for your social performance. Always stay on top of what posts are doing the best, what drives conversions, and what drives conversation – and don’t be afraid to change your plan if the data shows that what you’re currently doing is no longer working.
- Never stop watching platforms:
- As evidenced by Facebook’s recent bombshell algorithm change, social platforms are constantly tweaking and updating what they show people, ad offerings, post types, and much more. Make sure you’re ahead of the curve with big social media changes.
- Think of social as a destination, not a distributor:
- One common mistake made on social is thinking of it as simply a place to post links to your brand’s site over and over again. While there may have been a time where this strategy worked, algorithm changes and audience preferences have rendered this strategy obsolete. A link every now and then can be effective, but the goal should be creating content that users want to interact with and send to their friends. This keeps your brand top of mind when purchase time comes around.
4 Tools for Creating Buyer Personas
Buyer personas are an important part of any marketing funnel, no matter the platform. The infographic below highlights four great tools for building personas as well as the best ways to use them. The infographic was found here.