The TL;DR November 12, 2018
This week we’re discussing the characteristics chatbots should have, Fortnite and Gen Z, and why you should be on Pinterest.
8 Characteristics All Facebook Messenger Chatbots Should Have
Chatbots are growing in popularity, but marketers need to be careful to use them correctly. Find out eight tips below and read the full article here.
- Chatbots should use natural language: Even when users know they’re interacting with a bot, they don’t want it to feel that way. Make sure your bot mimics natural speech as much as possible.
- Chatbots should be emotionally intelligent: Chatbots should be able to sense a user’s mood, that way they know when to escalate to an actual service agent versus when they can simply help a user via a bot.
- Chatbots should be smart and analytical: Bots should be able to predict a user’s needs and follow natural behavior. They should also be usable in multiple languages.
- Chatbots should be user-focused: The user should always come first in the design of the bot. For example, consider having answers be buttons a user can tap rather than requiring them to type something.
- Chatbots should have a subscription feature: Make your bot capable of sending regular updates to consumers that opt-in for them. This keeps your brand top of mind and helps users stay up to date.
- Chatbots should have broadcasting skills: With the right tools, your bot can broadcast messages out to multiple people. Make sure you utilize this and utilize it well.
- Chatbots should be CRM ready: Consider incorporating features in your chatbot that work within your current systems; this can allow you to automate simple tasks like password changes or address updates.
- Chatbots should be GDPR-Compliant: If your business deals with international audiences, it is imperative to make sure it complies with GDPR.
What Fortnite Tells Us About Marketing to Gen Z
Gen Z is the largest age bracket in the US, and while they aren’t necessarily the most powerful purchasers yet, one day they will be. Find out how Fortnite can help marketers understand this generation. You can read the full article here.
- Creating a Sense of Belonging and Community:
- Why: It may be difficult to believe, but playing Fortnite actually strengthens friendships. Players are able to connect with their friends and have shared experiences, strengthening their bonds.
- How to Use: Gen Z wants a community, they thrive on it. Consider marketing in a way that makes them feel like they’re a part of something.
- Connecting When They Want:
- Why: By being able to log on and off, players are in charge of when they interact with the game and each other. It’s up to them whether they spend all day on the weekend playing versus a few hours in the evening.
- How to Use: Gen Z wants interaction on their schedule. Make sure your brand is available when they want it and unobtrusive when they don’t.
- A Culture of Approachability:
- Why: Since Gen Z spends so much time watching Twitch streamers and interacting with other gamers, their influencers aren’t the A-list celebrities of earlier generations. They like people who are like them, people who feel like they could just hang out as friends any time.
- How to Use: If you’re utilizing influencer marketing for Gen Z, make sure the people you’re picking are approachable and authentic – and make sure your brand lives up to these standards too.