The TL;DR November 19, 2018
This week we’re talking about Facebook’s latest algorithm shift, Pinterest’s new look, and how color affects website conversions.
Facebook De-Incentivizes Controversial Content
It’s been a rough year for the social media platform, and their latest change aims to address one of the most pressing issues: fake news and upsetting/controversial content. You can read the full article here.
- In a long letter addressing the platform’s struggles, Facebook announced they are limiting the incentives for pages to share controversial content.
- Though difficult to describe the exact steps, Facebook is adjusting the algorithm to reduce the reach of posts that contain clearly sensationalized language.
- This change also makes it so that when content gets close to breaking Facebook’s rules, rather getting higher distribution, it receives a sharp decrease in it.
- This change could have far-reaching effects on the news as a whole — as publisher’s get punished more controversial content, we may see the trend of over-sensationalized news decline.
- Facebook is also planning to create an independent council who will review and enforce content removal appeals.
Pinterest Launches Single Pin Style Feed
In a move that likely takes inspiration from Instagram, Pinterest has updated their “Following” tab. Read the implications below and check out the full article here.
- A recent update now has Pinterest’s “Following” tab showing a single pin style feed.
- According to the company, the move was intended “for easy scanning from idea to idea”.
- Pinterest’s main browsing tab remains unchanged - users will still have a variety of images to look at as they scroll, curated from people you follow as well as based on your interests.
- The single-pin feed also only requires one tap to take you to the site the pin links from, rather than forcing you to click on the pin to enlarge it and then clicking to site. This could improve site sessions for brands.
- There’s a good chance that if this change improves engagement, Pinterest could update the main feed to reflect this.
How Color Affects Website Conversions
A huge variety of factors determine how users behave and shop online, but what role does color play? The infographic below can shed some insight, found on